Friday, January 2, 2009

A Year Without Jennie...

It's been about a year and a half since I last saw Jennifer perform with the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra. I've somehow managed to get by with great friends and the internet, so there's always good news out there on our favorite mezzo. I was happy to read that Jennifer was listed twice in Opera News' 2008 "Best of" list. Opera Rara's Alessandro nell'Indie was voted one of the best opera recordings and JeLa was listed as a "scene stealer" for her work on Zanetto. I can confirm the latter. She certainly does great work on this little gem of a cd. I wish the soprano was up to par, but Jennie is a treat in this trouser role. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on the Pacini set. Opera Rara's other Pacini/Larmore cd, Carlo di Borgogna, is one of their best offerings. Estella is a character Jennie makes come alive. Run out and buy this cd, you will not be disappointed. It's quite clear who is responsible for the current Pacini resurgence.

No comments: