Sunday, January 9, 2011

Lady Valencienne's Fan

Not really caring for schmaltzy Viennese operetta I had originally had no intention of going to Geneva for Die Lustige Witwe/ The Merry Widow/La Veuve Joyeuse, especially as JL was not even singing the lead. But a short while ago I received a calling from above a faithful poodle could not ignore, so booked a ticket in the cheapest category, a flight (not so cheap on short notice) and a hotel room (probably cheap by Swiss standards) and set out in anticipation of a nice New Year’s Eve entertainment. I dimly remembered having been there before, 15 years ago, “L’Italiana in Algeri” at the Grand Théâtre, a party at a lakeside villa and a pair of black trousers being lost in transit (a subject of chaff among my friends ever since…this time I “played safe” and wore a skirt…)
The Merry Widow I had so far known only in the shape of the old Lubitsch movie starring Jeannette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier. Of the Loy production it can be said that it was sober and decidedly un- schmaltzy – for which I was grateful. The setting was (apparently) a hotel-lobby, thirties-style, modelled on the entrance hall of the Palais des Nations. My fellow-Berliner Annette Dasch was in keeping with this anti-glamour interpretation in being a rather square and homespun Hanna Glawari. But who says that this role must be played like a “diva”?! The Vilja-Lied was rendered simply and touchingly, avoiding the pitfalls of kitsch of this “Wunschkonzert” number . Why the poor woman had to sing this clad only in bra and slip however was a twist of the Regisseur I could not quite follow. I shivered in her place although it was pretty warm in my seat in the gods. Johannes Martin Kraenzle was a dashing Danilo, his warm baritone belying his assumed rakish attitude. I was touched to see the great José van Dam again in the role of Baron Zeta after so many years whom I had admired in many performances at the Deutsche Oper in the 1970s.
Glitz and glam which this piece can after all not do without was added by JL in the role of Valencienne, wife to Baron Zeta, in this Genevan (i.e. cosmopolitan) version “an American from NYC with artistic ambition”. She got the most gorgeous dresses (and dessous!) and her rendition of Foolish Heart from Weill’s One Touch of Venus was a real show-stopper. Her admirer Camille de Rossillon was the young Swiss tenor Bernard Richter, fresh of looks and voice, whom she follows into the chambre séparée (all the while protesting that she is “a respectable wife!”, but only a woman of super-human virtue would resist such an ardently sung invitation!), and the almost Puccini-esque duet “Komm in den kleinen Pavillon” was another highlight of the evening. The whole intrigue here revolves around a lost fan, but whereas a lost handkerchief in “Othello” triggers a tragedy, a fan can pass through many hands and return to its owner without any harm being done. Still one should not trifle with these seemingly insignificant utensils. A fan might get lost irretrievably (like a pair of trousers) with dire consequences. But I digress…After all an operetta must have a happy ending: Valencienne remains an exemplar wife –transgressing only in doing a cancan in dessous –, Hanna gets her Danilo, safely depositing her millions in a Swiss bank, and they all live happily ever after to the tune of “Lippen schweigen, ‘s flüstern Geigen…”
I saw older members of the audience swaying (“schunkeln”) to the popular tunes remembered from their youth (and probably humming along inwardly). One elderly lady said starry-eyed (in German): “Das war ja ein richtiges Wunschkonzert!”
And, yes, I, too, got my money’s worth – although you are really being ripped off in that country: 16 chf for the programme, 2 chf for the coatcheck – and you could also book a posh New Year’s Eve dinner at 185 chf p.p. “Caviar to the general!” I say with Hamlet. Give me a decent Swiss fondue and I am with you! So the faithful poodle returned to the hotel without having got so much as a dog biscuit or a bone to gnaw upon and went to bed hungry. I think I now know why I’ve always preferred cats – they are independent, individualistic, wayward, unpredictable - and they never obey orders!

No comments: